Copyrighted materials (listed below) are used here with permission of the copyright representatives and cannot be reused without their expressed permission. The rest is published under a creative commons license and is free for non-commercial use. Commercial reuse of any portion of this site is prohibited.
Permission to include materials written by Virginia Woolf was obtained through the Society of Authors and the Virginia Woolf Estate.
Permission to include reviews were obtained from the copyright holders, if any, of the individual reviews.
New materials created for this project, such as original essays by scholars, introductions, and accounts of the variant forms of the text belong to their authors and creators and are offered on the project site for study and non-commercial re-use.
For the purpose of copyright provision, material hosted within Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) is hereby defined within the following categories,
- Virginia Woolf Material
- Initial Holograph Draft
- Typescript sent to Charles Mauron, and accompanying letters
- Corrected Proofs supplied to Harcourt Brace
- 1st Edition (Hogarth Press, 1927) - GB 1st Edition
- 1st US Edition (Harcourt Brace, 1927) - USA 1st Edition
- Uniform Edition (Hogarth Press, 1929 )
- Albatross Edition (Albatross, 1932)
- Everyman Edition (Everyman's Library, 1939)
- Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf
- Extracts from Letters of Virginia Woolf
- Extracts from Virginia Woolf's journal
- Extracts from Sketch of the Past
- Essays by Virginai Woolf
- Stephen Family Photo Album
- All photographs, both thumbnail and original size, contained within the image gallery Stephen Family, andPhoto Album within the section 'Stephen Family'
- St Ives Gallery
- All photographs, both thumbnail and original size, contained within the image gallery St Ives, and St Iveswithin the section 'Stephen Family"
- Reviews of To the Lighthouse
- All other material
- Creative Commons 3.0 - Attribution, Noncommercial, and no derivative works
- to share, to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- Attribution: You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
- For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page. Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder. Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
For the purpose of this copyright notice, all Virginia Woolf material contained within Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) is hereby defined as:
A. Texts of 'To the Lighthouse'
B. Additional Material
As such, the above defined material is provisioned for online publication and reading only at Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) and may not be copied, distributed, transmitted or otherwise altered or manipulated without the express permissions of the Estate of Virginia Woolf and the Society of Authors as the literary representatives of the estate of Virginia Woolf.
For the purpose of this copyright notice, all Stephen Family Photo Album material contained within Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) is hereby defined as:
The above defined material has been reproduced with the kind permission of the,
Mortimer Rare Book Room,
This material is Copyright 2006 Smith College Libraries, All Rights Reserved. As such, any reproduction, alteration, or use outside of Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) must be provisioned directly with the Mortimer Rare Book Room at Smith College.
For the purpose of this copyright notice, all St Ives Gallery material contained within Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) is hereby defined as:
The above defined material has been reproduced with the kind permission of,
A Cornish Sourcebook,
This material is Copyright Chris Bond 2008. As such, any reproduction, alteration, or use outside of Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) must be provisioned directly with Chris Bond at cornovia.org.uk.
Most reviews published in 1927 and 1928 are in the public domain in England, but most are still covered by copyright law in the USA until 1921. Permission has been obtained from current copyright holders fall all reviews. Any reuse of reviews must be cleared with their copyright holders.
For the purpose of this copyright notice, all material, unless defined in the above categories, contained within Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com) is covered under the following copyright license:
You are free:
Under the following conditions:
Please note that in addition to the above conditions of use,
A full copy of the legal code for this copyright license is also available - view
To enable publication of this material each of the above categories requires and is covered by a different copyright notice, and must be adhered to whilst using Woolf Online (www.woolfonline.com). To view each copyright notice, please use the 'More Info' option next to each category above.
If you are in any doubt about the copyright provision for any of the above categories please use the Contact Us form to ask a question.